Wednesday, January 13, 2010

To Love or Not to Love

I have come to a recent realization that I will never love my husband…

I know, that sounds appalling, but please bear with me!

The term “love” is being used so frivolously these days:
“I absolutely love that movie!”
“Don’t you just love pizza?”
“I love this song.”
“I love my boyfriend (or girlfriend)... even though we have only been dating for a week.”

The literal definition for the term “love” means to have affectionate feelings for something. Affection means to have a fond attachment, devotion, emotion, sentiment or feeling for. From what I have observed, people these days do not use love in this context. Instead, the term “love” defines as evolvinginto a likeness for something.

Young men and women are pushed to “love” their spouses as they “love” the pizza they just enjoyed for dinner. There is nothing special about that kind of affection. This is why I have come to the realization that I will never truly “love” my husband- I will cherish my husband. The term cherish is defined as holding or treating dearly, or to care for or cling too fondly. Synonyms for the term cherish include: strengthen, affection, nurse, nourish, friendship, devotion, and caring.

The word cherish is incredibly powerful and full of passion. I desire to cherish a young man one day- I do not desire to love him.

-C

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Chels that's great that you want to cherish your Husband,but I just wanted to tell you
    that there's is many different kinds of love
    there's phileo(Brotherly love),eros(Romantic Love),agape(Unconditional Love)Ms. Mcbay as the song says "don't give up on love",and that God said This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.John 15:12
    We have to reclaim,and show the true meaning
    of love,the kinda of love that allowed Jesus to
    suffer,and die on the cross for us
    God bless =]

    ReplyDelete