Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sigh of Relief

*aaahhhhhhh*

Finals are over.
ACT is complete.
Month off school.

*sigh of relief*

I just want to share with you this quote from Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot. This was my fourth time reading Passion and Purity. If you have not read it- put it at the top of your reading list. Every time I read P&P I gain more knowledge. Elliot is an amazing author. She is one of my heroes.

The following quote is what struck me the most this time through:
"We need to learn to live by the supernatural. Ordinary fare will not fill the emptiness in our hearts...How else will we learn to eat it, if we are never hungry? How educate our tastes for heavenly things if we are surfeited with earthly?...My heart was saying, "Lord, take away this longing, or give me that for which I long.' The Lord was answering, 'I must teach you to long for something better.'...God knew that giving me Jim when I wanted him would not provide the far more important training I needed for things to come. It was in learning to eat that Living Bread, sufficient always for one day at a time, that I was taught and disciplined and prepared for later things." (p. 112-113)

How often I look to so many other things than God for satisfaction and fulfillment. Elisabeth struggled with it, like any of us do, but she knew He is all we need and He will bring things to pass in our lives when He chooses.

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment